JPW Gold Wins 1st Game, Beats Marsh Creek

Owen’s Jr. PeeWee team (coached by Kevin) won their first game of the season, beating Marsh Creek 19-14. (Owen is #53 in the photos.)

I’ll add more details about the game once Kevin sends out his game summary, but the big news for this household was that Owen scored his first touchdown!!

ETA: Here’s Kevin’s game summary

Junior PeeWee Gold Grounds Eagles

The Junior PeeWee Gold Lions beat a determined Marsh Creek squad, 19-14, on a slippery Laurel Field to begin their season with a victory.

It was obvious from the outset that the Lions came to play as Hunter Jaronski found the endzone behind blocks from Joey Peterson , Anthony Ferlazzo and Michael Duncan to score the game’s opening touchdown less two minutes into the first quarter.

With the Lions up 6-0 the defense went to work.  They forced a three-and-out as Blake Eschelman and Joey Gegeckas refused to be fooled on a reverse and stopped the Eagles cold on a third-and-long.

The Lions got the ball back after a great Marsh Creek punt and once again began to move the ball behind a dominant offensive line.  A key play in the drive was Jesse Capriotti’s scintillating sprint around the end for fifteen big yards to the Eagles 20.  The Eagles defense stiffened however and the Lions could get no further.

After Topher Taylor recorded his first sack of the year, Michael Lehman came up to make a big stop on third down and force an Eagles punt early in the second quarter.  Connor Fitzgerald than blasted in from his D-tackle position to block the Eagles punt and set up the Lions up on the Eagles five-yard line.

Two plays later, Hunter Jaronski scampered in for his second touchdown of the day, running behind Ferlazzo,  Duncan and Capriotti.  This time the Lions converted the extra point on a diving, tumbling catch in the end zone by Nick Vitelli and they were up 13-0.

The Eagle fought back for a score before halftime to close the gap to 13-7.

The Lions D came out strong in the third quarter.   Strong play by Nick Desautelle and John Flavin on the right side of the defensive line forced Marsh Creek to look to the left for yardage and when they did, Tim Leonard came up from his cornerback spot lay out an Eagles ball carrier on a sweep attempt.

The teams fought back and forth throughout the third quarter with neither getting an advantage.  In the fourth quarter, the Lions offensive line began to take control.  Following the wedge blocking of tackles Peterson and Connor Stoklosa, guards  Taylor and Charles Bray, and center Justin Fischetti, Lions fullback Owen McKenna began to chew up big yardage.

The Lions move the ball using the wedge over 70 yards in just seven plays to place the ball inside the Eagles 10-yard line.  Again the Eagles’ defense stiffened and Lions where stopped at the one-yard line.

Here the Lions’ defense came up with the play that sealed the victory.  Nose Tackle Greg Stephens busted through the line followed by blitzing linebackers  McKenna,  Gegeckas and  Jaronski to force an Eagles fumble.   McKenna came up with the ball for the touchdown and the Lions had a 19-7 lead.

The Eagles scored a late touchdown to make the game interesting, but the Lions held them off in the end and the boys had a conference victory.  The Lions next face a tough Penndel team on the road next Saturday at 12:00.  The matchup will be a repeat of last year’s Bux-Mont championship game.

For photos of the game, CLICK HERE 

(If you don’ t have flash, you can see the photos here — as well as download them.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


There are currently no comments on this post, be the first by filling out the form below.

Leave a Reply